Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Something Brothy to Keep in Mind

I was following up with some of my favorite cooking websites today and I ran accross an interesting soup recipe from Lovely Morning and Orangette that I would like to try: Green Lentil Soup with Coconut Milk and Warm Spices! Doesn't that sound delightful! But before I post about the spicy goodness 1. I would like to make it and see if I would change anything about it. 2. This post is actually about broth!


Where does the Green Lentil Soup come in to play you may ask? Well it calls for homemade broth, and it had a link to a great broth recipe! Check it out here.


I've always wanted to get a good soup broth to make of my own... muahahaha! But seriously I'm going to try this recipe sometime this week because I can feel the chilly weather in my bones.


Basic Vegetable Broth


1 ½ Tbs olive oil
1 medium onion, coarsely sliced
1 small leek, white part only, coarsely sliced
½ stalk celery, coarsely sliced
1 carrot, peeled and coarsely sliced
1 large clove garlic, peeled and smashed
8 cups cold water
1 Turkish bay leaf


In a large saucepan, warm the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, leek, celery, carrot, and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 15 minutes. Add the water and bay leaf, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, partially covered, until the vegetables are very soft, about 1 hour. Strain the broth through a sieve into a clean bowl or heatproof container, pressing down on the vegetables to extract all their juices. Let cool, uncovered. Refrigerate in a sealed container for up to a week, or freeze for longer keeping.<BR/>

Yield: About 6 cups, give or take a little

No comments:

Post a Comment