Sunday, October 4, 2009

Fall foods are beginning...



I have been trying to dive into using more fall produce to take advantage of what our seasons give us. So here is my second attempt (first attempt see Squash soup recipe)! It was amazing. A little spicy and very versatile!

The recipe was taken from Epicurious online and tweaked to Dan and my liking.




Ingredients:

1 Medium Spaghetti Squash

1/2 stick unsalted butter, cut into pieces

2 garlic cloves (flexible for garlic lovers and haters), minced

1 t. ground cumin

1/2 t ground coriander

1/8 t cayenne (for the spicy kick!)

3/4 t salt

2 T chopped fresh cilantro (if you don't have fresh use less dry, but fresh is SO worth it!)




What I added as extra: (I would suggest putting your fav. veggies in this Moroccan Spice Sauce! Make more sauce if you want!)

1 medium scallop

2 chicken breasts

some broccoli (depending entirely on how much you like)

a few zucchini slices

2 corn ears

pepper (we used yellow because that was what was about to go bad), thinly sliced

Sriracha sauce (on the meal at the very end)

2 t olive oil


Cut holes in the squash with a sharp knife all around the outside and set it in a pan to bake in the oven for about 1hr on 375 degrees F. After the squash has been baking for about 15 mins you can start the rest of the cooking.
While the squash is baking, simmer butter with onion and garlic until transparent. Add remaining spices and let simmer. Boil water and put in broccoli and corn. Corn for 3 mins, and broccoli until softened. Fry chicken breasts in oil. Take corn out of water and set aside. After the sauce has been simmering for about 5 mins ad zucchini slices and peppers (or what ever veggies you have ready). Let this simmer on med low for about 10 mins to soften them a little bit.
Take the squash out of the oven and cut it in half the long way. Scoup out the seeds and start using a fork to scrape at the soft flesh. As you are scraping, put the spaghetti looking squash flesh into a separate bowl. When the squash is all scraped out add the sauce, chicken, broccoli, and the corn (we cut the corn off of the cob and mixed it into the whole shebang!). And Serve!

6 comments:

  1. Erika, this looks absolutely YUMMMMY! I can't wait for you to make it for me!-Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and dad should try this out!!! Its really easy. Try it out and let me know how the directions are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Erika! Your mom does great PR!
    -Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha she just sent me that email she sent out. Too funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Erika!
    I just received word about your blog from your mom! I am new to this kind of thing but I will try to follow along! I was going to tell you that Brad and I were in Morocco this winter and your dish looks to be exactly like the food we had at a restaurant in the Kazbah! Nicely done! Sometime I will tell you about the trip. Congrats on your new adventure! I look forward to following it!
    Take care! Lisa Berg

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw! Thanks Lisa! I would love to hear if you try this recipe :) I would also love to hear about your trip. I love the spices in Moroccan food!

    ReplyDelete